Is your family ready to blossom? Are you ready for adventure? Let's do it together through my beautiful state of New Jersey...

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Liberty State Park





I am a Jersey City local by birth. I have lived no further than 25 miles from the Statue of Liberty since birth. I have not been to the park in over ten years. Sad. So today I went twice, and it inspired me to start blogging. Yes, this is my first blog, my first post.

I guess what inspired me is that I felt like I found a secret. A secret (FREE) place to see some of the most important places in American history - The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. And honestly the birds, the wind, the flags - had me at their first swoosh. I figured I would start blogging to help other Moms get a glimpse of some places they can take their kids.

Liberty State Park is breathtaking. Mother's take your cameras!

I went there with my two boys around 10am on a Wednesday. Five cars in the parking lot. Parking is free. The park is free. It is located at 1 Audrey Zapp Drive Jersey City, NJ 07305 You are going to either get their from the NJ Turnpike or drive through Jersey City. Neither are glamorous.
It was sunny but brisk day. And it felt like the park belonged to the three of us.

The highlight of the day had to be the wildlife. All three of us were head over heels in love with the Red winged Blackbird. Its song filed the park. The whipping of the flags and the seagulls flying over the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island were so peaceful. I am no bird watcher, and with two fleeting toddlers - impossible. But the Park Office was able to give me the scoop on this beautiful bird that was skipping from tree to tree. Above is my son viewing the birds, shooing the birds, and invading their space! The sight of the birds grazing was beautiful. We could feel the flap of their wings as the hundreds of them flew away. My sons were tweeting all day! BIRD is the word in our house.

So we stayed for about an hour. We saw flags, the Statue (my kids had no clue), boats, went down the slide (ONCE), and the birds. The mini playground is great. However in the shadow of all the wildlife, boats, statue, fishermen, dogs, oh and the helicopters - the playground was the least of their interest. You can bike, blade, skate, play ball, run....just go outside!

I also let them lead me. This trip and all our adventures will be through their eyes.

During their nap I printed out some coloring sheets to work on after lunch:
Bird
http://www.dltk-teach.com/t.asp?b=m&t=http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/brownbear/clips/bbird.gif

Statue of Liberty
https://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/print/statue-of-liberty-coloring-page/

I let them color one set of birds and the other set I let them work on their fine motor skills by cutting out the bird. We played with the cutout ALL day. Tweet!

I had to run an extra errand, and Daddy wanted to see what got me all excited - so we went back. 4pm on a Wednesday - maybe 20 cars in the lot. I still parked at the entrance. There was another family eating dinner at one of the many tables. There are concession stands, but I am not sure of their hours. At the two times I was there, none of them were open. I highly suggest bringing your own food. There are no places nearby to get food. You will eat at a table - otherwise the Seagulls will eat your meal. The bathrooms are at the entrance - so pee before you start your adventure!

Liberty State Park
http://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/liberty.html

No comments:

Post a Comment